QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Shady Sue and Sam

Sunbonnet Sue
Why won't she show her face?

What the heck are they up to?



Teddy Pruett has been keeping herself busy lately with her take on the world of Sunbonnet Sue & Oversall Sam. It's a shady world, full of small creatures ashamed to show their faces above their maternity dresses. They are preggers and threatening to go on Jerry Springer.



The Salacious Secrets of Sam and Sue
By Teddy Pruett

"Be Safe. Use Condiments"

Co-conspirators from AQSG donated vintage blocks for Teddy to re-work.

Here's a note from the artist:
I know you share my sentiments toward old Susie.  I was going to bring my new Sue-bashing quilt to AQSG but just found out I can't make it.  I thought you might enjoy seeing a few blocks from Sunbonnet Slut - er, I mean, "The Salacious Secrets of Sam and Sue."

For a Good Time Call Sue



I sez to her "You wouldn't say that to my face,"
and she sez, "You don't have a face."


Thank you, Teddy, for the pictures and the idea!
See another side of Sue in this post:
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunbonnet-sues-dark-side.html

15 comments:

  1. That is so funny, I love it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Sue fan but I love the naughty Sues! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. he always looks like he is peeing, to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Treadle On list did a Sue quilt, based on the listserve's focus on sewing with people-powered sewing machines, i.e., treadles and hand-crank machines. See the quilt and read the story athttp://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/sunbonnetsue/sunbonnetsue.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so devilishly clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO funny! Clever, clever, clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now it's time to share your blocks of Sun Bonnet Sue meeting many untimely deaths. That quilt made me laugh at the exhibit at the Kansas City Star in May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So now we get the real truth about what Sue and Sam are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew that Sue was such a naughty girl! no wonder she's always hiding her face. And, Sam? Shame on him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always thought Sun Bonnet Sue was a sweet girl, but she's just like me!!! He, he, he!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Teddy's Shady Sue is certainly a nod to The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue, which we've discussed at length on the "Quilts- Vintage and Antique" page at Facebook. One of my all-time favorite quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue, Sue Treadles On and such quilts are AWESOME! Thanks for the links...

    ReplyDelete