QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Friday, July 13, 2012

The Mennonite Quilt Sale 2012

Scrap Happy by the Southern Hills Mennonite Church
 in Topeka, Kansas

Carol who belongs to my guild told me the quilt she and friends made for the Kansas MCC Relief Sale this year raised $5100 at the April, 2012 auction.


 They used a pattern they found in Better Homes & Garden Quilts and a red paisley from my Moda collection Civil War Reunion.

Double Dutch by Shari Wiens

The sale is an annual event to fund the church's emergency relief services.


Wholecloth quilt by the Hutchinson Amish Church

Individuals and church groups donate traditional quilts,

A vintage Lancaster County PA quilt
 antiques and contemporary quilts.

Star Flower by Julie Esau

Midsummer Night Garden by the Pleasant Valley
Mennonite Church, Harper, KS.
 I was glad to see they used the pattern for my
Prairie Flower quilt from Star Books.



Queen Ann Star by Four Ever Friends, Hesston
This quilt brought in the highest bid: $8100.


Autumn Leaves by Emma Stuckey and the
First Mennonite Church in Pretty Prairie
The large leaf print is from my Arnold's Attic line last year.

The quilt auction raised $134,721 this year.
I was pleased to find people using my fabric and patterns.
See all the quilts here:

10 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed this post seeing the quilts from the Kansas Mennonite Relief Sale. The link provided a wonderful quilt show. I haven't been to one in years, and this is a reminder of how much I miss going. Oh, the food is always really good too, and all for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful quilts and so nice that they raised so much to help others. I would love to find a group to work with, for charity quilts, hard to find groups around here.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I'd share my Scrap Happy version I made a couple years ago from my repro stash. http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/30070_135101786505461_4581163_n.jpg I don't usually comment but am a big fan! Going to the Packwood House Museum tomorrow to enjoy their collection of PA quilts. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the Scrap Happy quilt. It would be a great raffle quilt for our guild. Any idea which Better Homes and Garden quilt magazine they found the pattern? I have all the issues but don't have an idea where to start looking. Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts! I've always wanted to attend one of the Mennonite Relief Sales. I could never afford to pay those prices, but I'd love to see the quilts in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miriam---no idea. Sorry. Does anybody have the magazine issue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny that's my pattern scrap happy. Will look it up to see what issue it is in, AP & Q magazine

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! I finally found the Scrap Happy Quilt pattern. A wallhanging size pattern was orginally in an issue of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine. www.allpeoplequilt.com has the directions for the quilt. The project is called "1930's Scrappy Wall Hanging" and was inspired by "Scrappy Happy" from designer Kathie Holland. Thank you Kathie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, Muchísimas Gracias por Compartir tanta Historia y Bellezas. With Love.
    Thank You From Venezuela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrap Happy so describes the art and past time that makes us happy. It is hard to describe the joy of seeing quilts. But Scrap Joy has no ring to it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete