QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, April 25, 2022

Four Quarter Circles: Possibilities and Possible Disasters

 

Looking for a little applique that doesn't require too much prep time
I recalled this little top I made a few years ago.


I enjoy appliqueing these quarter circles  (you can piece yours),
a variation on the classic Drunkard's Path. I found the quarter circles in the
free pile at the guild.

So maybe I should cut some more curves and applique them to squares. 

#1450 Snowball from the Laura Wheeler/Alice Brooks newspaper pattern.

Here's a block that looks to be 1820-1840.

But what else can one do with 4 quarter circles? Maybe I could arrange them differently.

Like #1455 Diagonal Stripes from Aunt Martha.

Frankie Tatum Williams in Mississippi, recorded in the Tennessee project.

What could go wrong?


That might require more concentration than I care to expend.



Slightly different arrangement.

Things could get out of hand quickly.
Two different colors, rotated....

I bet the alternate blocks were once green here
but the color is almost gone.



The possibilities seem endless.





Although not all desirable.


Reptiles.



Some a lot better than others.


From the Lilac Quilt site

EQ8 Sketch
Which makes me realize you could offset the strips and
get an effect more like a polka dot (a half drop repeat.)
I think I will stick with simple.




But wait a minute... 2 or 3 sizes of dots....




I have spent way too much time looking at these quarter circle patterns. Over the next couple of months I'll post variations. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, certainly fun to consider the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see this email! Like you, I enjoy hand applique for these blocks. I have accumulated a large number and had started looking for an alternate arrangement from the tradition "Drunkard's Path" as I had already made one of those. I found one that may be perfect but I am looking forward to your future posts with more variations! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete