QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Saturday, August 4, 2018

EPP Star Quilt Finished!

Earthly Paradise by Barbara Brackman, 2018

I recently finished a small quilt I made using
English Paper Piecing. It took over a year,
mainly because I had a hard time figuring out the shapes
I'd need to get a hexagon into a rectangle.

I could have gone on.....

Indianapolis Museum of Art
19,567 pieces


But I got this far.

I used small pieces from all the William Morris reproduction lines
I've done over the years, dividing them into lights and darks...

And mediums for the outside edge.
My papers had 1" sides.

Some inspiration below:

From the collection of the Missouri Historical Society

Albert Small from the Illinois State Museum


From the Rocky Mountain Quilt Shop



And here are a few by people who didn't worry about fitting the
whole thing into a rectangle (I learned it won't fit into a square the hard way.)

From the collection of the U.K.'s Quilters' Guild

Art Institute of Chicago Collection

From a Christies' Auction

See a post about traditional EPP techniques here:

10 comments:

  1. A wonderful finish, Barbara! Love that you used fabric from all your William Morris lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to use thousands of pieces to make a treasure. I like the way simple lights and darks work together. There is a lot of inspiration out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hexis - but not sure I love them as much as some of your examples.... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Congratulations on your
    Earthly Paradise finish.
    I think that EPP must be addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad at least YOU have a finish. I put mine on the back burner over a year ago, and have not touched it yet. Time to get it back out, before my hands quit working in old age, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Barbara! Very nice work and quite an accomplishment! You collection of inspiration pieces (there should be a special term in quiltmaking for that category) is also quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! Congratulations on your most beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It’s beautiful. This is so inspiring for a EPP newbie like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. no reason to go overboard! LOL Congrats on the terrific finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you quilt your miniature hexies? They seem too little to quilt inside them.

    ReplyDelete