QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quilts 1812 Blog

Reproduction quilt, a collaboration between Barbara Brackman,
Terry Thompson and Lissa Alexander

2012 is the anniversary of the War of 1812---a good excuse to make a quilt.



I've been getting questions about what reproduction quilts from that era might look like, so I decided to start a separate blog. It won't be a block of the month (block samplers hadn't been invented yet in 1812.) But once a month I'll post pattern and technique information for an authentic design.


Mockup with Hewson reproduction panel

I've been reading about people who lived through that war.

Unknown fashionable woman about 1800
I'm having a good time trying to figure out war strategies and battles but mostly enjoying the scandals and gossip. Even after 200 years the gossip is still fun.


Rejected idea for U.S. Great Seal

The first chapter is up today. Look for a post on the first of the month through the end of 2012. And I'll occasionally post other pertinent style and fabric information.


Game Birds
Imported chintz, about 1815
Book mark this link.
http://quilt1812warandpiecing.blogspot.com/

Take a trip back to 1812.


I added Judy Severson's reproduction quilt
Seaflower to a vintage peace poster.
Subscribe by email.
And I'll put a box in the left hand column here so you can click on it periodically.
By the end of the 2012 you and I will know a lot more about the Battle of Bladensburg, Betsy Bonaparte and---way more important---early American quilts.

Betsy Bonaparte, a triple portrait by Gilbert Stuart, 1804.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for making the new Quilts 1812 blog.

    I love the Hewson reproduction panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for starting another blog, your knowledge and your history about quilts is amazing. I'm looking forward to following this blog and looking forward to taking that trip back to the war of 1812.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Barbara, for yet more history! I know the quilts will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be fun to follow and learn from. Now you have me hunting online for Rhode Island History, lol. Gilbert Stuart birthplace is just down the road, haven't been there in ages, so maybe I will go this month and bring my camera and see if I can find some quilts. Our library has free tickets I can get, to get in.

    I also found a page by my brother, he donated his RI collection to the the Newport museum. I also got a book from the library on RI quilters, a lot of wonderful quilts and history.

    http://thesaltysailor.com/rhodeisland-philatelic/rhodeisland/stampless22.htm

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the best! I've been reading up already on The War of 1812 era and this place is going to be wonderful to come to. I have been trying to collect repro fabric that I think would be appropriate (anxiously awaiting Lately Arrived From London). I tried leaving this comment over there but blogger is giving me trouble--what's new!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I fixed the comment problem over there. Comments have to "open up in a new page." But thanks for commenting over here. I am going to have a lot of fun with that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, THANK YOU!! a few weeks ago, I was in a fabric store and chatting with another customer - I was buying some of the very few 1800s fabrics I can find up here in central Alberta, Canada, and I mentioned I'd love to see fabric/patterns from the War of 1812 - I grew up just a few miles from Queenston Heights, and Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, so it is symbolic of our history. I am looking forward to your posts, and have signed up for e-mail notification. I really appreciate your time/research/and most of all sharing of your knowledge. THANK YOU!
    Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these reading about these quilts. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried several attempts (yesterday) at leaving you a comment on your 1812 blog - but it's not working for me. Chapter 1 has me wanting more and I plan to order Rosalie's book so I can read her letters. I so appreciate you sharing so much with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete