QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, March 28, 2010

More Inspiration from Rose Kretsinger

Oriental Poppy by Rose Kretsinger, about 1930.
Collection of the Spencer Museum of Art.


Rose and daugher Mary about 1915




I have a pattern for the Oriental Poppy that I drew up for a class I taught a few years ago. Here I am holding blocks by Denniele Bohannon and Gloria Clark.
Below is Gloria's in progress.
She's working on the border.

Oriental Poppy by Gloria Clark



Rose's had simple swag and flower border.
Charlotte Jane Whitehill who lived in Emporia also made one from Rose's pattern
 but she used a different border, a double scallop.

Oriental Poppy by Charlotte Whitehill, about 1930.
Collection of the Denver Art Museum.


I decided to make one and update the colors
Oriental Poppy by Barbara Brackman and Pam Mayfield.
I hand appliqued it and Pam added the sawtooth border and machine quilted it.
I did not do the reverse applique.




7 comments:

  1. What beautiful quilts! This is one I'd like to enjoy looking at but not make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. I really enjoy it when my favorite designers do their own interpretation of old patterns - updating the colorways and adding new techniques. You truly inspire us~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara I LOVE your blog!!! Are you going to Spring Market? Email me pat@patsloan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing it in different versions, really beautiful piece to do in so many ways.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this design. Especially the white one. It is just beautiful! I really liked the story about Amy and Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy listening to you talk about the history of quilts.
    Nancy in IN

    ReplyDelete