QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, February 12, 2012

Turkey Red Friendship

Friendship Kit Quilt from Moda

You need to be shopping for Turkey red reproductions right now.
Buy them when you see them because they are hard to find.
You can see several in Moda's Collection for A Cause: Friendship.
 http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_collections_friendship.pdf
I see by the comments the precuts are available but the yardage hasn't been shipped.
There are many prints in the line but I'm crazy about the Turkey reds. The kit quilt above is a copy of a Philadelphia Friendship quilt from about 1850. They were wild about Turkey red prints in the 1850s.


Turkey red was especially popular for folded applique patterns like this fleur-de-lis dated 1849 and the quilt for the Friendship line at the top of the page.

From the Friendship reproduction collection


Another block from the 1849 fleur-de-lis.

Reproduction paisley
What makes an authentic Turkey red reproduction? A red background (in true 19th century Turkey reds the fabric was dyed red first and then colors were added by various printing methods).

Reproduction
The figures were limited in color due to the complexity of the printing processes. The most common figures are a dark blackish-brown and a yellow.


Antique with two colors for figures

Reproduction
The printers also added a green.


Antique with yellow, brown and green figures

Reproduction

Antique
In the most complex of the Turkey red prints they printed five colors for the figures
Brown
Yellow
Green
Blue
White

These multicolor Turkey red prints were popular with quilters from about 1840 to 1870--- a necessity for the reproduction stash.

The pattern for the applique quilt at the top of the page is online at Moda's free pattern source. See it here:
http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_cfac-friendship.pdf

See some earlier posts about Turkey red

9 comments:

  1. I got a charm pack of the Moda Friendship fabrics and immediately wanted to use them in a quilt...only to find out the yardage isn't available until next month! So I pre-ordered and am the bits from the packet I have sparingly....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Friendship Quilt is beautiful! Love the turkey reds with yellow and green. Interesting to learn about fabric printing. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. I'm always on the lookout for good reds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've pre-ordered several yards of the turkey red - it is a must have on the stash and I'd used up what I had from other lines. Learned my lesson and am stocking up this time. Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love turkey red. I may hold off on my Dear Jane quilt to incorporate this fabric line in to it - I've got 12 blocks and a few triangles left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love red and green, think I have christmas on the brain, lol. I would like to do a red and white quilt for next year.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Turkey Red fabric's. Infact my favorite quilts done up are in red. I would love to get the pattern if their is one for the Friendship quilt, that you have a picture of on line. Applique is my favorite thing. I haven't seen the Moda turkey red fat quarter packets. I will have to check the shops around me. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna
    I added a link for the free pattern towards the bottom of the blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Serious temptation. I know I bought some one before but have not been able to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete