QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, November 11, 2019

Quilt Style: Partial to Prussian Blue



Prussian blue is a mineral dye, discovered about 1800 and put to
good use by cotton and wool printers as the decades went on.

It produces a variety of blues, maybe a little warmer and certainly more
adaptable to multi-color printing technology than its
rival blue indigo.

The color was novel in the U.S. in the 1840s. Quiltmakers
loved it.

And so do we.









Always looking for reproductions.....


Edyta Sitar Laundry Basket Quilts
Something Blue



14 comments:

  1. I LOVE Prussian blue! And I'm doing a QAL with Edyta's fabris right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prussian blue produced a lot of blues from pale to very intense. The important thing is the combination with a tan (buff) which dye chemistry dictated but designers used to great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didnt know that was the name; always liked the color. Thanks much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a kit available for that flying geese quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite Prussian Blue fabrics from a c. 1850s quilt is part plaid and part bubbles (circles in a range of sizes). I'd post a photo of it, but I can't figure out how to do that.

    Patt

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right Lori- Edyta's are called Royal Blue but there's prussian in there too I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a very used Prussian blue in my old watercolour paintbox! Loved the shade and used it so much! Still love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought Prussian Blue was a particular color of blue, not a whole range of shades. But, I guess it makes sense that for other colors adding more or less dye, or leaving fabric in the dye bath for differing times, results in a range of shades. It's a pretty color that I wish was more common (at least in the shops I get to) now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always one of my favorite shadings of blue! Will be looking for more of these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you describe all that, It shows the amount of effort you put into it. Teosyal by Meso Pro

    ReplyDelete