QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Thursday, October 17, 2019

AQSG 40th Anniversary Seminar

Cindy Rennels and her domain at the quilt merchants' area.
Really old quilt behind her. The triangles at the bottom are a deep fringe.

1800-1825?

Spent several days in quilt heaven at the American Quilt Study Group's annual seminar, this year in Lincoln Nebraska. I saw a lot and heard a lot. It was a great experience and I have enough blog content to last till Christmas.

But you want to see quilts. So here's a selection of some I saw, with credits if I can figure it out.

Fuzzy picture of hexagonal pineapple quilt. Note my
finger there for scale. I have one of these pineapples but certainly
not this small.

This one had no backing which allowed us to see the fabric foundations.
Memory also fuzzy---which dealer?

Chintz cut outs at Mary Koval's booth.

Prussian blue & buff stripes in a center diamond

Square in a square (Economy block) from
the Triplett sisters booth. Made by Sarah Elizabeth Brady Engel of
Baltimore.

Comes with a lot of documentation.

Mystery pattern from Xenia Cord's inventory. I drew in a white
line to show you that the blue dotted print are 5-sided pieces.
Not a block. Hard to put together.

Chintz from Xenia's booth

Great late-19th-c stripe from Mary Koval's stack of fabrics and parts.

Underneath: an early embroidered piece.

Maybe Jane Lury's booth?
The applique on the wall British.
It says FOOT on the bottom.

Humans and birds and other free form-applique. I always love the way
these free-form appliques ignore the block concept.

Saw a similar quilt at the International Quilt Museum galleries,
a recent acquisition. Family said it was made in Wisconsin but I doubt it.

Another new IQM acquisition. 1840s, taste changing --- chintz or calico?
How about both?

Looked through mail-order fabric sources at the Quilt Research Center
in the University of Nebraska libraries. Like this description of the flapper stockings---
"Pure silk and fiber", late 1920s.

Archivist Mary Ellen Ducey showing us the storage area
for the Quilt Research Center at the University of Nebraska Libraries.

More later.

9 comments:

  1. Amazing quilts! Love the free-form applique quilt. If I tried to make one it wouldn't look as charming as the antiques!!
    Yes, on the chintz and calico!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The free form applique caught my eye also. For me, much of its charm is the softening of fabric colors over time. I'd love to have seen it right after completion though.

    the captcha is giving me fits today! when did that get turned back on?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Quilter's Heaven! I like the complexity and simplicity of the mystery pattern with the "house" shaped pieces. Truthfully, love them all, could just wrap up in to any one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the AQSG Seminar was wonderful. I also bought some amazing fabric from Mary Koval. It is fabric from 1828 or 1829, celebrating the inauguration of Andrew Jackson. Andrew Jackson, however, is missing from this fragment -- he should be directly above and below George Washington. All I have is a little bit saying "Navy President."

    Patt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing. I loved seeing every single picture - and those stockings, oh my! Over the years, Cindy Rennels has walked away with quite a bit of my hard-earned teacher's salary, and I have a lot of antique quilts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having missed it again this year, I really appreciate your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the simple applique of woman and daughter! Just may have to copy that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is Julie Silber's booth with the hanging British Applique and yellow baskets on table.
    Seminar was amazing! So good to see you.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you...I really like reading the writing that you make on your article because in my opinion, your article is very unique and easy to read and contains meaning that is useful for people.

    Agen Joker123
    Bandar Joker123
    Slot Joker123
    Game Joker123
    Joker123

    ReplyDelete