QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Saturday, March 24, 2018

Carnival Time

A mid to late 20th century block.
It's a wheel design with an octagon in the center.
Not too hard to find in BlockBase
where it's #3600

Friendship Circle from the Laura Wheeler/
Alice Brooks syndicated columns of the 1930s.



12" blocks x 36 = 72" quilt

The artists at the Wheeler/Brooks studio were
big on scraps. I am surprised I have no other examples 
made into quilts. It's a pretty great pattern and not toooooo
hard.

Aunt Martha did a similar design called Carnival Time.
A little different proportion. When we drew it up for
BlockBase #3599 we changed the proportions a bit.




Aunt Martha from the Quilt Index

I like those spinning wheels with the details in the corner.
I erased a few lines to get a simpler design.




3 comments:

  1. I like seeing the variations and possibilities, just 'erasing a few lines'.
    Red and white works nice with that block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are wonderful patterns. This is the type of pattern I might try by hand first. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Sue McQ ... looks like a hand-piecing project to me too!

    ReplyDelete