QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, December 5, 2016

Morris Hexagon: Rings of Hexies

Barbara S's hexagons on the design wall. She has a plan.

Plan in EQ7
See the pattern here:

These concentric rings of hexagons were a rather common
idea in the first half of the 19th century.

Quilt dated 1804 by Rebeckah Morrison.
Collection of Natalie Norris,Virginia.
Fussy cut flowers in the alternate rings.

A black & white photo of one signed M. Clapper,
shown in the magazine The Clarion years ago.

The rings of white hexagons are filled with a 
sampler of stuffed quilting. It was attributed to Maryland.

A chintz bordered version from Carolyn Miller's collection.
Quite similar.



From Petra Prins's collection.

Maybe late-19th century.

This one's hard to make out from the photo...rings of white
 alternating with red and green stars.

You can get a similar effect with a lot more work
if you alternate rings of dark and light hexagon blocks.

From Cow Hollow Antiques at Ruby Lane.
It'd be worth the effort though.

Margaret Stanga 
Louisiana Project.
Quilt Index

Frederica Josephson quilt, about 1850.
Collection of the National Trust of Australia.
This is the original of this impressive quilt.

Replica of the Frederica Josephson quilt by
The Fairholme Quilters Guild.

Many repros of Frederica's quilt have been made.
It's sometimes called Candied Hexagons for a 2005 pattern from Australian Quilters Companion by Kerry Dear.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Barbara! Fun seeing my hexies on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get my hexies out and think about what I'm going to do with them. Thanks for the gentle reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concentric rings.
    Another quilt to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love William Morris designs and the Earthly Paradise fabrics have captured my heart. I have two 12-fat quarter bundles, giving me a half yard of 12 fabrics, that I wish to make a quilt with but I'm not skilled enough to do hexi's. I'm still a beginner quilter. Do you any suggestions for another quilt block that would do justice? So far, all I've come up simple diamond-kite block type block. I'd appreciate your suggestions.
    Thank you
    Janice

    ReplyDelete