QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Backstitch at the National Quilt Museum in Paducah



My quilt in Paducah


Backstitch: A 25 Year Retrospective of Advances & Milestones in Quiltmaking, an exhibit celebrating the silver anniversary of the New England Quilt Museum, is now at the The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky through September 16, 2014. Curators are Anita Loscalzo and Laura Lane.

Hickory Leaf by Barbara Brackman,
2003
Quilted by Lori Kukuk

I was pleased to send a quilt. At the original venue at the New England Quilt Museum I loaned the Hickory Leaf above, an interpretation of an antique quilt from about 1840. That quilt was not available (I couldn't find it until last week as I am moving from my Victorian house of 40 years) so I sent another reproduction, also an interpretation of an antique from about 1830-1850.

Birds in the Air
by Barbara Brackman
1993-1998

I hand pieced this quilt (except for the strip set), one reason it took so long to make. The other reason
is that this is the last large quilt I did before I started designing reproduction prints for Moda, so finding the perfect period prints was a challenge. A shopping challenge, which I will always accept.

The brown-ground chintz was curtain fabric from Calico Corners. The setting triangles are cut from a great Pilgrim/Roy print, still one of my favorites.

More information about the Backstitch exhibit:

7 comments:

  1. I love that hickory leaf quilt, wow! is it a pattern in one of your books, if so I must have missed it.
    beautiful. good luck with the move.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattern for both are in America's Printed Fabrics 1770-1890, pages 85-90.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! Wish I could get to that exhibit. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Barbara. They are both lovely quilts and will be even more interesting in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara

    You do glorious work! THe Hickory Leaf is happily in one of your books I already have. Both my husband and I are great fans of 'antique reproduction" quilts, made b yours truly :) I can see this is coming up on my list soon!

    Thanks for all you share with us. You are a national treasure!

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both beautiful quilts and wonderful to have your quilt displayed at the museum. I used to get a lot of my fabrics in the drapery department, you can find some nice prints and weights for bed quilts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep coming back to look at your Birds in the Air quilt. Love seeing your reproduction quilts.
    Wish I were in Paducah to see this exhibit!

    I will be ordering America's Printed Fabrics 1770-1890.

    ReplyDelete