QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Austen Family Album


I was born to blog. As my friend Deb says--- it's like having your own personal newspaper:
  1. An audience---you!
  2. No editors, so I can put commas wherever I like.
  3. And it's a visual medium like a picture book.

I have started yet another blog (see the others over on the left) with a free quilt pattern---a block of the week for 36 weeks on the topic of Jane Austen's England, her family and friends.


I love to read about Regency England and I never seem to get bored reading Jane biographies. Does that make me a Janeite?


The pieced patterns for 12-inch blocks will be posted every Sunday for 36 weeks beginning with the first Sunday in April, 2014---April 6.

The project will be an album sampler, the kind of quilt popular in 19th-century America and again in the 21st century. We are not going to reproduce an authentic Regency-era quilt.

Sister's Choice
Given the name about 1890

Sister's Choice by Becky Brown
in my Ladies' Album reproductions for Moda


I've picked blocks from my BlockBase digital index to published patterns with names like Village Square, King's Crown and Sister's Choice---blocks designed and named long after the Austen era.
Each block reminds us of a real person in Jane's life.

Jane's Aunt Philadelphia

I've read Jane's novels too and there will be some references to those characters but my main interest is to tell stories about the family and relate them to the years 1770-1820 in England, especially for American readers who have been confused about what a living is, how much a guinea is worth and if an entail and a pelisse are a good thing or not.

I'm not an expert on Austen, England or the Regency so I'll give you links to other sites and books each week.

I've got my great team of stitchers----Becky Brown, Dustin Cecil and Georgann Eglinski--- testing patterns and choosing colors, and Bettina Havig is also making model blocks. If you've followed my other block-of-the-month and block-of-the-week blogs you know what wonderful things they do with fabric.

I've already started posting about color and fabric ideas so check it out.
http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. Quilting at the FarmMarch 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

    Looking forward to this adventure. I have a bunch of Jane Austin fabrics from a few years back and plan to use them. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asa diehard Austenite (and quilter) I was very excited to see this post. I'm looking forward to both the blocks and what I am sure will be very entertaining reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote my blog about this, to spread the word. You are one of my quilt heroines!

    http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some fabric ready to go. Saw the perfect bolt at the store, didn't realize until I was having it cut that it said "Barbara Brackman". meant to be.
    My suffrage quilt will be quilted in April - can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great project, guess I ave to go shopping!!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. A taste of literature, history, and quilting ... what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How a fun BOM! I am going to sew along and make one for my daughter - my husbands family is related to the Austin family so my daughter will love it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to reading all of your posts. I am a very keen Austenite and quilter in Australia. I will be accompanying a tour to England in 2015 and 2016 with Whitecroft Traditional Tours to visit many sites associated with Jane Austen and antique quilts. Cannot wait!
    Http://katrinahadjimichael.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely! I've been swimming in Austen these past days as I am planning a trip to Bath and London next month (with my sister no less!). I also wanted to share with you a quilt I made using your fabrics, and, coincidentally a Sister's Choice block! :). Love your work, Barbara! Here's the link to the quilt: http://coraquilts.blogspot.ca/2014/03/sisters-paint-box-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. magnifique ce nouveau projet ! merci ! je l'ajoute aux projets du nouveau livre de Bénédicte Maurin ( Atelier des ABCdaires ; Lyon ; France) consacré à Jane Austen. Son livre " Good day, Miss Austen" est paru chez Quiltmania.

    ReplyDelete