QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Civil War Memory Quilts

Barb Vedder who is half of the blog Fun with Barb and Mary sends photos of two Civil War commemoratives. Above is a block challenge for which she adapted a pattern from my book Civil War Women.



Jeff Davis's Daughter
by Nancy Hornback, Wichita, Kansas
1996

See our inspiration, Lucinda Honstain's "Reconciliation Quilt" in the collection of the International Quilt Study Center and Museum #2001.011.0001, which has a block with Jefferson Davis and his daughter Maggie in the second row. Click here:



And here's Barb's medallion top. I thought people would want to know who printed the pictorials because they are such a great thing to add to the Civil War fabric stash, so I asked her if she recalled any names of collections.
Her answer is an impressive piece of memory work:





"Here are some of the lines that I used to create this quilt. I'm also a selvage quilter and had set aside a zip lock full off them from this project. I'll have to remember to do this in future as it worked well as a fabric reference.

Old Glory by Sara Morgan for Blue Hill
Bonnie Blue's America by Paula Barnes of Bonnie Blue Quilts
Commemorative Collection by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics
Civil War VII by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics
Fairmount Park - Industrial Revolution by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics
Coverlet Collection by Mary Koval for Windham Fabrics
Shirting prints by Jo Morton for Andover Fabrics
Heritage Classics by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics
Civil War Tribute Collection - 150 yr Anniversary by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics
America the Beautiful by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Brothers Textiles
Patriotic Legacies by Laurene Sinema for SSI

and more....being a scrap quilter, I use all and any motifs and colors that I feel work with the piece I'm making. I feel that any patriotic or Americana fabrics would work well for this kind of medallion quilt."

See Barb's post here:
http://funwithbarbandmary.blogspot.com/2011/04/girls-just-wanna-have-fun.html

And here's a link to a print-on-demand version of Civil War Women with the Maggie Davis pattern in it.
http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1857

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning -
    thanks for posting my most recent Civil War projects.
    Have you seen the new U.S. Civil War postage stamps? It's a lovely sheet and may even be frame worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The medallion quilt is just amazing, what a beautiful use of the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting Barbs blog and yours and always enjoy seeing what she is working on.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the appliques in the old quilts, fun to redo.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious if you have ever heard of a Chain quilt...looks similar to the Wedding Ring but more like a chain. If you go to my blog you can see a picture of it (which was found in a calendar). http://sweetp-paulette.blogspot.com/

    Thanks so much!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great BLOG. was very useful im listing a quilt on my etys shop....check it out @
    www.etsy.com/your/shops/gentlemanlypursuits...

    ReplyDelete