QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bolt Labels

A few months ago I wrote about bolt labels, the paper labels that used to appear on yardage to identify the source and the number of yards in the bolt.
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2010/05/bolt-stamps-bolt-labels-and-selvages.html

I've collected some of these on the fabric




I found some of these in the Library of Congress photo files










Some of the Manchester labels are from New Hampshire; others from England




See more English examples by clicking here:

Bolt labels have been replaced (for the most part) by selvage identifications.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing those, I have never seen or paid attention to those if I have seen any.. does that make sense?? lol
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scope of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, and it's all stuff that I find fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the good old days, when textiles were actually made in this country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While the 3 posts above say it all SO well ... just thought I would add my own thoughts too.

    The labels are GORGEOUS! Now who would have thought they would be in such vivid colors? Color printing has always cost more than plain back and whites. Thanks for sharing your well of knowledge with us Barbara.

    Julie in TN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love the labels that show the mill. I get some beauts on blankets too. I once had a customer who collected blanket labels, usually off bashed up pieces, he grumbled when he bought a blanket for $40...thought that was too much for a label...but hey! the blanket was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old labels, what a wonderful collection.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't aware of those kind of labels. They are little works of art, which is probably why they were saved and survive to this day.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was interesting to see that the more recent labels tout 2 perfect selvages (so you can use every bit of fabric).
    If anyone wants to see the green Merrimack label up close, I've got a copy on my blog.
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com/2008/02/lowell-mass.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the images on old labels (of any kind), these are wonderful - thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete