QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT

QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT By Quilt Historian Barbara Brackman Above: Moda's Baltimore Blues. It's not all blue.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Thrift Shop Quilts


Zig Zag II top by Dorothy LeBoeuf, from Hawaiian shirts, batiks, linens, silks, solids.


Spool by LeeAnn Decker, 72" x 72", 100% thrift store fabric.


Housetop by Deb Rowden, 55 1/2" x 55 1/2" Recycled shirts and purchased plaids & stripes.

My friend Deb Rowden and I are obsessed with Thrift Shop Quilts. And we have a few pen pals including LeeAnn Decker and Dorothy LeBeouf. We define Thrift Shop Quilts pretty loosely. A Thrift Shop Quilt can be bought in a thrift shop. You can make one yourself out of fabrics you buy in a thrift shop, as LeeAnn often does. You can interpret a thrift shop design. Or you can just be inspired by the whole recycling idea---There are no pieces of fabric too small to save. Note Deb's quilt.
Check out Deb's website, particularly these two postings:
http://debrowden.blogspot.com/2009/06/thrift-shop-quilt-1-sweet-strips.html
http://debrowden.blogspot.com/2009/03/out-of-control.html

Her motto: "It's not trash it's found." If you make Thrift Shop Quilts or collect them, send us some photos (My email is bbrackman@sunflower.com). We'll post them.

5 comments:

A Quilter Awakens said...

Those are FABULOUS!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful quilts. I have not used fabric from thrifts, but a friend sends me lots of her older fabrics. I do use a lot of thrift wool though and I am making on now, all out of wool.

Debbie

jenclair said...

I agree, fabulous! Also enjoyed my visit to Deb's blog.

L. Gray said...

Beautiful and inspiring. I will make a zig zag quilt soon thanks to viewing it here! Of course, I have seen many of them...but this one is gorgeous. --Lisa

Barbara said...

Not exactly thrift shop quilts, but I love to work with the unwanted fabrics members donate to my guild's monthly Chinese auction. Sometimes the fabrics are less-than-lovely, but I look on those as a challenge. Occasionally the fabrics are drop-dead gorgeous; I just made a top destined to be a Quilt of Valor from Mary Koval fabrics I can't believe someone wanted to part with.