QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, July 26, 2015

Color Box

Color Box

Somebody recently asked me what my favorite pattern was. I was taken aback.
How can you pick just one?
But after I thought about it I realized the pattern I've made most often is the Housetop Log Cabin.

Color Box: Duet with Klimt

Blue Town in a Red State

Duet with Carmel---the Chintz Box

I've just been calling them Color Box.

Indigos and Yellow

Ragtime

Duet with Kandinsky
I used Kandinsky's colors. He was a genius.

Color Study by Wassily Kandinsky


The Print that Ate Chicago

I just sent this top off to the quilter. I made it several years ago at a retreat where we had a contest for the largest-scale print. The featured fabrics are some of the contenders.

So I do have a favorite pattern.



I'm inspired to make one out of my Morris Jewels Layer Cake packages. 9-1/2" finished squares for the centers. 2" finished strips for the frames from Jelly Rolls.

I drew it up in EQ7
16 blocks = 54" square




  • Cut the center square 10" x 10"
  • Top strips should be cut 14" x 2-12"
  • Side strips cut 10" x 2-1/2"



Add a border cut 10" wide and the quilt will be 73" x 73".

This means you can cut strips 2-1/2" wide out of Layer Cake squares and Jelly Roll strips. Or any width would do.I didn't measure the strips on The Print that Ate Chicago.
  • Piece the side strips here 54-1/2" long by 10."
  • The top and bottom strips 73-1/2" x 10."

7 comments:

  1. I agree that this is a very useful and versatile pattern. I've made several baby quilts using a variation on this theme. Love the idea of a large print competition. Thanks for all the info and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I've recently started following your blog because of the Lawrence connection (grew up there; family still all over the area.) "Blue Town in a Red State" had me snorting my morning OJ! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is really a fun pattern--I like the Morris prints in it a lot, too. thanks for the measurements hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. It`s fantastic and love your fabric combo.Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see your favorite 'go to' pattern. thanks for idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pattern too in all its many variations. I love your creative quilt titles! Beautiful quilts, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I espeically liked your version of the Kandinsky Color Study. I love doing nine patch variations of various artists. Klee, Mondrian, Kandinsky -- all become some variation of a nine patch. Cheers to you box quilts.

    ReplyDelete