QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, July 20, 2014

String Stars on a Large Scale

Tudor Family, Lexington, Kentucky, about 1900

Towards the very end of the 19th century quilters began combining
a new idea---string quilts--- with an old idea----Lone Stars.

By Bertha Riddick from the Quilt Index
and Michigan State University Museum.

These first two full-size quilts date to the first quarter of the 20th century. 

By Amelia Etta Atkins, Henry County, Tennessee
 Quilts of Tenneseee

Many of those string-pieced diamonds were probably
stitched from factory cutaways.

A top from Ann Champion's cupboard.

I would imagine most were pieced over newspaper foundations.


Annie Belle Hodges Brown
Quilts of Tennessee

Add more stuff---but not too much.

These last two from online auctions look a little later, probably
after 1925. The pink one seems to have a rayon sateen
background.

By Geneva Rankin Shows

You can get the idea for a small-scale version here at a tutorial at Little Miss Shabby.
http://www.littlemissshabby.com/2012/08/string-star-tutorial/


Carol sent a picture of this six-pointed version, less common.

And here's a great update found on Karen Griska's Selvage Blog


9 comments:

  1. Be still my beating heart , these star quilts are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These take my breath away! Thanks for sharing them with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding "string star" to my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about doing some string piecing and I love star quilts. This might be just what I have been looking for as a project.A string star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have such an abundance of fabric choices etc these days. When money was very tight, and buying fabric was scarser then hen's teeth --- string quilts, and other tiny scrappies, were what you made.

    THAKS Barbara
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy these pictures make me want to make one too!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful pieces and I love the look. I just finished doing my version of an antique piece, but just the middle section and used the string look in the corners, something I want to try again in other pieces.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete