QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Friday, December 30, 2011

Complex fabric --Simple patchwork

Birds in a Cherry Tree by Bobbi Finley,
A tile quilt appliqued from some complex Morris reproductions


Quilters have to think about
Pattern in the Fabric versus Pattern in the Patchwork
We have at least four options.

1) Complex fabric---complex patchwork, as in Bobbi's block above
Mid 20th-century bowtie top
2) Simple fabric---simple patchwork. A very modern look.

Nineteenth-century pieced star
3) Simple fabric-- Complex patchwork. One reason 19th century quilters loved those little calico prints

Octagons from Ann Marie at AMSewing
4) Complex fabric --simple patchwork
The William Morris reproductions are complex prints. Here are some simple designs that balance that complexity.
And how she pieced it:

From Jane Monk's Purrfectly Quilted blog, using the last collection The Morris Workshop
http://purrfectlyquilted.blogspot.com/2011/02/sneak-peek.html


Here's a square in a square made with the same collection by Jen from Sweden. I found it at the Cutting Table Blog
http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/special-order-from-sweden/

From another Jen - 2 charm packs from Moda
http://jenacknitwear.typepad.com/blog/2011/07/fo-quilt-for-the-newly-weds.html

This one using a Charm Pack from my last Morris collection The Morris Workshop is from the Pieced Goods blog.
In the last two examples I guess we have to say they combined complex and simple fabric with simple patchwork--option number 5, I guess.

Successful quilt designs strike a good balance between complexity in the fabric and complexity of the patchwork. Beyond that it's a matter of taste. Is it simple or stark? Complex or too busy?



6 comments:

  1. Another interesting post, one that got me thinking about my latest quilting projects.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved the "simple fabric, complex pattern" quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to go with simple patterns, complex fabric in my designs. I do want to do some simple amish styles and practice my free motion on them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to think about

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved the "simple fabric, complex pattern" quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to go with simple patterns, complex fabric in my designs. I do want to do some simple amish styles and practice my free motion on them. Debbie

    ReplyDelete