QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Friday, July 16, 2010

Lebowski Fest


Lebowski Fest
Designed by Barbara Brackman, Appliqued by Jean Stanclift,
Quilted by Pam Mayfield, 2006
Lawrence, Kansas 46"x 46"
Courtesy of the VanHougrau Collection

My neighbor asked if we could make her a quilt for her husband. The result:
Lebowski Fest.

We had a lot of fun designing and appliqueing bowling shoes, pins and balls.


For those of you who do not know what we are talking about here:


The Big Lebowski is a movie by the Coen Brothers about
 mistaken identity, slackers, White Russians, a rug and a bowling alley.
Above, Jeff Bridges, Steve Buscemi and John Goodman trying to figure it all out.

At Lebowski Fests people watch the movie,
drink cocktails made of vodka and non-dairy creamer and occasionally bowl.

The quilt makes an excellent backdrop for the party. One could say it "Pulls the Room Together."



The Dude does not officially endorse this quilt.

The pattern for Lebowski Fest is in my new book, Sew Into Sports: Quilts for the Fans in Your Life.

Click here to read more about it:

While I was Photoshopping the Dude above I redesigned the quilt digitally. There are many possible ways to arrange bowling shoes, balls and pins.





12 comments:

  1. The dude may not have officially endorsed the quilt, but the quilt sure makes him look better: )
    What a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious post. I don't bowl but that is one fun quilt! Perhaps one day I'll have to watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the funnest blog posts I've seen! This is a great quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out even better than I had hoped. Thanks, Barbara, for a great job. I will note this comes from the VanHougrau collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is the coolest quilt I have seen in a long time, too funny !! I can endorse the quilt, and when can we see the new book???
    thanks
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book has been shipped. Ask your quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how funny! My son and I were just talking about "the dude". i love this quilt, it really pulls the room together, ha ha
    All it is missing is the toe :)
    thanks for a smile

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! As much as I love serious quilts, I also need ones to make me smile. Great quilt design and good job photoshopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband's favorite movie - we both loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed reading about sports quilts and seeing the amazing vintage ones. Our guild held a sports themed show and some of the quilts are on my blog - you might want to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see this book !

    Loved the movie & Jeff Bridges (one of the most under-rated actors we have) Love all the Coen Bros movies

    ReplyDelete