QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Missed Holidays

I completely missed National Polka Dot Day which would have cheered up my January if I'd known about it beforehand.


It's not National Just Dot Day. It celebrates Polka Dots---which are circles set in a regular half drop repeat.


This quilt technically isn't it.



The baseball bat probably counts.

So next January 22nd I'll dress appropriately.

I also missed Hari-Kuyo, a centuries old Japanese celebration of the needle. Kimono makers bring their broken needles to the temple on February 8th and place them in blocks of tofu.

Nancy Halpern arranged a Hari-Kuyo festival last February for our quilt retreat.
We had to post a sign, however, in case of overenthusiastic vegans at the cocktail party.



The electric cords represent some broken sewing machines.


Read more about Hari-Kuyo, the Japanese Needle Festival, by clicking here.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKT33020120070208


http://kikuko.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/harikuyo-wakamiya.html


Mark it on your calendar for February 8th next year and save all your needles that have given up the ghost for the cause.

3 comments:

  1. Love that garage!! What fun. Thank you, Barbara, for all the information that you share. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spots and have just started adding them to my stash. Looking for some wardrobe items too. I have plenty of stripes.
    Your lovely book, Remembering Adelia arrived yesterday from the UK. What a lovely combination of information - history, patterns, design advice, pictures, projects. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Barbara - I do love the blog but the second comment was meant for a different blog. Sorry. But I do so love your fabric ranges especially the Civil War and William Morris.

    ReplyDelete