QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Friday, November 6, 2009

The Polka Dot Club

"The Polka Dot Club, Larned, Kansas"


I've always had a thing for polkadots. Terry Thompson gave me this photo for Christmas a few years ago. I'd guess it's about 1900.

My sister restrained me from buying a polka dot couch once, probably a good thing, but nobody can stop me from buying dotted fabric. Here's a snapshot of a quilt I made for a 4 year old. Every print is a dot.

The other day my cousin sent me a scan of a photo of her mother, the most glamorous woman I personally knew as a kid. I don't think the ladies of Larned would ask my Aunt to join their Polka Dot Club. But I think I'd rather be in hers.



My Aunt Kay in 1945
(She appears to be camping out.)


13 comments:

  1. Your post really brought a smile to my face! I think we need a new Polka Dot Club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dots and your Aunt Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pictures are fantastic. Such a difference in styles, yet still....polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. Aaah. I love polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I love old pictures! Those are wonderful -each in their own way. Thanks for sharing. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't there a cartoon character named Dot who collected polka dots? Vague memory there! I too love dots and use them in almost every quilt...but i use stripes in almost every quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to digress to Polka Dotty my favorite comic strip when I was a kid. Another posting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Polka Dots are the best. I just bought polka dot panty hose. I'm sure I'll get goofy looks when I where them to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I love Polka dots too and have a latge collection, always buying them when I see them.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be fun to make a scrap quilt with all polka dot prints.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. In a time when shirtings were tiny prints, where, oh where, did they find that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry. I tried to send you an email and it was once again undeliverable. It was a return of your email -- so not sure what's going on. I hate to use your blog for this correspondence but don't quite no what else to do? Dawn

    ReplyDelete