QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, April 27, 2009

Serpentine Stripe


I just watched the BBC production Byron and found this trivia site for people like me who immediately forget the actress's name and the plot but NEVER forget a costume. I was sure I'd seen the dress that evil Augusta Leigh was wearing and---of course---it was Mrs. Bennet's!!! The brown serpentine stripe was equally fetching on seductive sisters or silly mothers. The photo features a reproduction serpentine stripe in brown that Terry Thompson and I did for Moda several years ago. The wiggly stripe is quite similar to the fabric in the dress.

Check out this site for costume connections---Who wore what.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369084/trivia

Which begs the question…
Why doesn't the BBC go out and buy new reproduction fabric and make new costumes? The dresses in the period dramas seem to get around more than the Chico's jackets in my sewing group.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's funny! I'm going to have to keep an eye out more for the dresses the characters wear in these things now that you pointed this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said the same dress as Mrs. Bennet - I know exactly what fabric you are talking about. How geeky is that! I have spent the last month watching Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens on Masterpiece Classics and for the last two weeks all that was keeping my attention was the pink striped fabric in Fanny Dorrit's dress. Fuschia pink and white stripe with big fat paisleys running down the stripe. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why even bother to have a plot? They could just all walk around in the English country side in period dresses and I'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in the Cotswolds for the past three years and got to see several period films in production...you have to remember this is BBC not hollywood - if they reuse everything! There is even a National Trust village that is used as a set for everything from Pride and Prej. to Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete