QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Pattern Names on the Quilt: P Reynolds

"Old Log Cabin, Spruce, Two Stumps"
This quilt from the Bedford Historical Society
has the name of each block in a label.

This unusual comforter is pictured in Carleton Safford's and Robert Bishop's 1972 book America's Quilts and Coverlets, (collection of the Bedford Historical Society, page 210)

The caption doesn't give us as much information as I'd like. They date it as circa 1820, made by Miss P. Reynolds in New England. The blocks are joined with the puffy squares called biscuits. I would estimate the date as much later, about 1900, based on what I can see of the fabrics, the biscuit style and the names given to some of the blocks, which were published about 1890.



Here's a key to the names on the quilt.
What a June Lip is I've never been able to figure out.

One of the blocks is a variation of BlockBase #743, labeled Royal Japanese Vase,
which was published in the magazine Farm and Home in February, 1890.

Another---what we'd call the Drunkard's Path---is
The Wanderer's Path in the Wilderness, which
also was published in Farm and Home.

On her webpage Wilene Smith shows the original drawing
in the center here, published in June, 1888, and again in 1890.
Wilene notes that Farm and Home was published in
Springfield, Massachusetts so the quilt may very well be a New England quilt.
(What Bedford Historical Society?)

"Dog Days, Stars, Sun and the Covenant"

P. Reynolds included original applique blocks too.

"Old Folks at Home to Dinner"

Too much nostalgia to actually be 1820---but just right for 1890-1910 or so.

See other posts about 19th century pattern names:

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing to me how I can remember some things and others just fly over my head. This was one of my first quilt books (I was still in high school) and I do not remember this quilt at all. I will have to go back and check it out. Perhaps the June Lip is just a poor spelling of "tulip"? Or perhaps a tulip that blooms in June??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I'm wondering if your June Lip is the Lipstick plant. It is similar. Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete