QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, January 16, 2017

Cut from the Same Cloth: Dry Goods & Quilt Design.


I am flying to Minneapolis in February to give a lecture. Bringing my leg warmers.

The Minneapolis Institute of the Arts (MIA) is exhibiting 14 quilts from their excellent collection in Cut from the Same Cloth: American Quilts at Mia.  






On Thursday evening, February 2, 2017, I'll talk about “Cut from the Same Cloth: Dry Goods & Quilt Design”


Here's information about the lecture:


The theme is how quilt style, pattern and design has been affected by innovations in fabric technology over the centuries. I'll be talking about Turkey red, inexpensive silk, changes in indigo printing and other fabric fashions that changed the way quilts looked.

The show is up through March 19, 2017.

The idea of how fabric innovations affected the look of quilts is my personal research exploration this year. The Minneapolis talk will focus on trends from 1840 onward. I'll be doing another talk on earlier trends at Colonial Williamsburg in March at their conference "Printed Fashions: Textiles for the Clothing and the Home." March 26-28, 2017.


My talk is titled Printed Textiles in Quilts:  1775-1830

All the information you need on the March conference is at this site:

7 comments:

  1. Surely wish I could attend both lectures. Two more years until retirement and more travel freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Northern Minnesota. Besides your leg warmers, you'll need a pair of snuggies--basically knee length underpants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it gets cold in Kansas. I will be dressing in layers. Layers of fluff I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so love to hear these lectures. I hope someone will record them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Williamsburg going to publish the lectures in this conference? I'd love get get a copy if so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re the Williamsburg papers. I doubt they will be published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just going to leave that up there. Think of all the creepy crawly guys in their mothers' basements typing away on the internet.

    ReplyDelete