QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Threads of Memory BOM Coming to a Close


Threads of Memory Sampler by Rosemary Youngs

Over on my Civil War Quilts blog we've been doing a free Block of the Month called Threads of Memory on the theme of the Underground Railroad and the history of slavery. The history
may be serious but the fabric choices are fun.

Above: Rosemary has set the January to October blocks with a Flying Geese set. The stars are all new designs based on traditional patchwork.

See the blog here:

Suzie at Oz Farmer is planning to use the same set
with the blocks she's made from my Voysey reproduction
prints Morris Modernized.

BeeJayM at the half way point.

The blocks began on the last Saturday of January, 2014
and will go till the last Saturday of December.

Model-maker Becky Brown has been making two sets of blocks each month. She designed
the Flying Geese set for one group of blocks.

Here's her spiky triangles sashing idea for the other set.
She'll alternate different stars.

When Jean Stanclift made these blocks
a few years ago we used a 
stars-in-the-sashing set.

The Civil War Quilts group has been meeting informally through the blog and our Flickr pages. I design the blocks and maintain the blog, Becky Brown and Dustin Cecil make the models. Dustin maintains the Flickr page.

Inspired by Becky's skills at fussy cutting you can
see a real style has developed in the group.

SylvieD


And then there is Dustin's set done only in tickings.

See more blocks and stripes at this post:

I must say the group works very well together. Each new Block of the Month we do (or Block of the Week) inspires some very creative uses of fabric and set designs.

Terry's designed her own set. This is Block 10
Britain's Star.

She's going to put each of the stars I designed
into another star. Quite clever.

Sheila is thinking about strips
of leftovers.

Keep your eyes on our Flickr page:

What's the plan for next year? Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed seeing the different ways and fabrics, that they ladies have used in their quilts. I got a gift certificate so I ordered some square dies to use this year. I have big plans on making more quilts and finishing my others, so the cutter will save me a lot of time and hand strain.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs not only entertain but they teach and make me think outside my box. You my Lady are such a wealth of information. Thank you for all you do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous. I love that I am subscribed to your e-mails. Everything is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear there' s more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thoroughly enjoyed both series this year -- and can't wait to complete my blocks and get them together. Thank you for an educational and satisfying quilting experience. Looking forward to more next year!

    ReplyDelete